Marsh & McLennan Agency LLC (“MMA”) prides itself on being an industry leader in the area of transparency and compensation disclosure. We believe you should understand how we are paid for the services we are providing to you. We are committed to compensation transparency and to disclosing to you information that will assist you in evaluating potential conflicts of interest.
As a professional insurance producer, MMA and its subsidiaries facilitate the placement of insurance coverage on behalf of our clients. As an independent insurance agent, MMA may have authority to obligate an insurance company on behalf of our clients and as a result, we may be required to act within the scope of the authority granted to us under our contract with the insurer. In accordance with industry custom, we are compensated either through commissions that are calculated as a percentage of the insurance premiums charged by insurers, or fees agreed to with our clients.
MMA engages with clients on behalf of itself and in some cases as agent on behalf of its non-US affiliates with respect to the services we may provide. For a list of our non-US affiliates, please visit: http://global.marsh.com/about/. In those instances, MMA will bill and collect on behalf of the non-US Affiliates amounts payable to them for placements made by them on your behalf and remit to them any such amounts collected on their behalf;
MMA receives compensation through one or a combination of the following methods:
- Retail Commissions – A retail commission is paid to MMA by the insurer (or wholesale broker) as a percentage of the premium charged to the insured for the policy. The amount of commission may vary depending on several factors, including the type of insurance product sold and the insurer selected by the client.
- Client Fees – Some clients may negotiate a fee for MMA’s services in lieu of, or in addition to, retail commissions paid by insurance companies. Fee agreements are in writing, typically pursuant to a Client Service Agreement, which sets forth the services to be provided by MMA, the compensation to be paid to MMA, and the terms of MMA’s engagement. The fee may be collected in whole, or in part, through the crediting of retail commissions collected by MMA for the client’s placements.
- Contingent Commissions – Many insurers agree to pay contingent commissions to insurance producers who meet set goals for all or some of the policies the insurance producers place with the insurer during the current year. The set goals may include volume, profitability, retention and/or growth thresholds. Because the amount of contingent commission earned may vary depending on factors relating to an entire book of business over the course of a year, the amount of contingent commission attributable to any given policy typically will not be known at the time of placement.
- Supplemental Commissions – Certain insurers and wholesalers agree to pay supplemental commissions, which are based on an insurance producer’s performance during the prior year. Supplemental commissions are paid as a percentage of premium that is set at the beginning of the calendar year. This percentage remains fixed for all eligible policies written by the insurer during the ensuing year. Unlike contingent commissions, the amount of supplemental commission is known at the time of insurance placement. Like contingent commissions, they may be based on volume, profitability, retention and/or growth.
- Wholesale Broking Commissions – Sometimes MMA acts as a wholesale insurance broker. In these placements, MMA is engaged by a retail agent that has the direct relationship with the insured. As the wholesaler, MMA may have specialized expertise, access to surplus lines markets, or access to specialized insurance facilities that the retail agent does not have. In these transactions, the insurer typically pays a commission that is divided between the retail and wholesale broker pursuant to arrangements made between them.
- Other Compensation & Sponsorships – From time to time, MMA may be compensated by insurers for providing administrative services to clients on behalf of those insurers. Such amounts are typically calculated as a percentage of premium or are based on the number of insureds. Additionally, insurers may sponsor MMA training programs and events.
We will be pleased to provide you additional information about our compensation and information about alternative quotes upon your request. For more detailed information about the forms of compensation we receive please refer to our Marsh & McLennan Agency Compensation Guide at https://www.marshmma.com/resource/compensation-guide-for-client.pdf
MMA’s aggregate liability arising out of or relating to any services on your account shall not exceed ten million dollars ($10,000,000), and in no event shall we be liable for any indirect, special, incidental, consequential or punitive damages or for any lost profits or other economic loss arising out of or relating to such services. In addition, you agree to waive your right to a jury trial in any action or legal proceeding arising out of or relating to such services. The foregoing limitation of liability and jury waiver shall apply to the fullest extent permitted by law.
Rev. November 1, 2018
Marsh & McLennan Agency Acquires Otis-Magie Insurance Agency, Inc.
December 11, 2018
Marsh & McLennan Agency Colleagues Volunteer During the IICF Week of Giving
October 13-20, 2018
Marsh & McLennan Agency Acquires Eustis Insurance & Benefits
October 3, 2018
Marsh & McLennan Agency Acquires Jardine Lloyd Thompson Group Plc
September 17, 2018
Marsh & McLennan Agency Acquires Klein Agency
July 3, 2018
Marsh & McLennan Agency Named a Preferred Plus Partner with Frankenmuth Insurance
April 24, 2018
Marsh & McLennan Agency Acquires Highsmith Insurance
February 7, 2018
MMA-MW Employee Benefits Producers Presenting at Mid-American Restaurant Expo
January 18, 2018
Several Promoted to Market President at MMA-MW
January 1, 2018
Happy Holidays from Marsh & McLennan Agency - Midwest Region
December 19, 2017
Marsh & McLennan Agency - Midwest Region Presented with 2017 Regional Partner Award by ProAssurance
September 27, 2017
Melissa Young Named P&C Marketing Leader for Marsh & McLennan Agency - Midwest Region
July 7, 2017